June 1, 2011

Paula Deen and Savannah Style

Browsing in the bookstore recently I found Paula Deen’s  book “Savannah Style”.      

 

savannah style

 

Paula co-wrote Savannah Style  with her styling assistant, Brandon Branch.     The book is wonderfully written in true “Paula” style….lots of “ya’ll’s” and she even talks about “peein’!

 

Here’s a good description of what you’ll find inside….

“With its lush gardens, stately town houses, and sprawling plantations, Savannah is the epitome of old Southern style, and who better to give you the grand tour than Paula Deen, the city's most famous resident and anointed Queen of Southern Cuisine?

In this gorgeous, richly illustrated book, Paula Deen shares a full year of Southern living. Whether it's time to put out your best china and make a real fuss, or you're just gathering for some sweet tea on the porch at dusk, Savannah style is about making folks feel welcome in your home. With the help of decorator and stylist Brandon Branch, you'll learn how to bring a bit of Southern charm into homes from Minnesota to Mississippi. For each season, there are tips on decorating and entertaining. In the spring, you'll learn how to make the most of your outdoor spaces, spruce up your porch, and make your garden inviting. In the summer, things get more casual with a dock party. Sleeping spaces, including, of course, the sleeping porch, are the focal point of this chapter. In the fall, cooler weather brings a return to more formal entertaining in the dining room, and in the winter, attention returns to the hearth, as Paula and her neighbors put out their best silver and show you how they celebrate the holidays.

Paula loves getting a peek at her neighbors' parlors, so she's included photographs of some of Savannah's grandest homes. From the vast grounds of Lebanon Plantation to the whimsically restored cottages on Tybee Island, you'll see the unique blend of old-world elegance and laid-back hospitality that charmed Paula the moment she arrived from Albany, Georgia, with nothing but two hundred dollars and a pair of mouths to feed. And she isn't shy about giving you a window into her own world, either. From her farmhouse kitchen to her luxurious powder room, you'll see how Paula lives when she's not in front of the camera.”

And here are just a few pictures from the book:

 

savannah style#1

                                                  (source)

Isn’t that porch to die for?   I think I could spend my whole summer hanging out on those chaise lounge chairs, with a ceiling fan turning overhead, and a big ol’ glass of sweet tea (with lemon, of course!)

 

savannah style#2

                                               (source)

  Pretty house and another porch I wouldn’t mind spending time on, visiting with friends and family at the end of the day

 

I’ve been to Savannah twice and if I could live anywhere in the world, I think Savannah would be my first choice.    It’s got to be one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen.     I like what the reviewer said “Savannah is the epitome of old Southern style”!

 

Paula also has a furniture line.    Here are some of my favorite pieces:

 

pauladeenfurniture#2

I love the mixture of chairs.   

 

 

pauladeenfurniture#3

Pretty upholstered bench

 

pauladeenfurniture#4

Slipcovered chairs….my favorite!

 

pauladeenfurniture#8

I really, really NEED this day bed!

 

pauladeenfurniture#9

Gorgeous hutch and I love the detail of the bun feet on the bottom

 

pauladeenfurniture#6

Painted chest

 

pauladeenfurniture#7

What a serene bedroom

 

I was not paid or compensated for this review of Paula’s book.   I don’t recommend very many books but this one is worth every penny.

 

Well, you can tell it’s summer in the South.   When I got in my car at 3:00 this afternoon, it was 102 degrees!!!     Stay cool, ya’ll!!

11 comments:

Karena said...

How wondeful I know it is a great book! Love Paula!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come enter my Amazing Giveaway from Tracy Porter!

Farica said...

LOVE this book and LOVE Paula!! I also love your blog. :) Thanks for sharing. I think I'll go out and get this book over the weekend. It was 92 here tonight at 8 when I got home. Wonder what July is gonna feel like, huh? Take care!

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Paula Deen made southern popular again!! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings y'all!

Debbie's Garden said...

Agreed! Savannah is so beautiful. I love Paula, she reminds me of my MIL who was from New Orleans. I love sitting in her kitchen when she was cooking and talking. I think thats why I like watching Paula Deen cook.

Stacey said...

We love Savannah too! We've been once and always tell people how incredibly beautiful it is. We went during the North of Gaston Street Garden Tours. Wow..it was wonderful.

I have that book. Isn't it inspiring?

mush said...

I agree with you. I was just in Savannah two weeks ago and ate at her restarant. A most beautiful city.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, friend! I'm dying to go back to Savannah, it's been too long.

Did you get my emails? Sent one to your old & one to your new??? Trying to catch up with you. My email has changed too, so be sure & use my new one.

Debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

Hot here too! I love Paula Deen and these images make me want her furniture!
Debbie

They call me Estatez... said...

I haven't seen the book but I love, Love, LOVE Paula's new furniture line!!! That adorable daybed is on it's way to my house...squeallll! It is for our new granddaughter's nursery (she is due in Sept) for those nights when mommy or daddy needs to be in the room with her (they'll be with us for another year). When they move out, that daybed is NOT going with them, lol. It will stay in the room for Kenzie sleepovers. I can hardly wait.

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Thanks for passing this post on about Paula's new book. I too could live on that porch!
Gorgeous! I wish my dogs would stay off our furniture and then I could have ivory white cushions....love the look.
Love Savannah too!
xx
Alison

insemination said...

How wonderful Really know it is a great book! Love Paula!,Agreed! Savannah is so beautiful.This blog is show the related to familiar pics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...