July 27, 2010

The Sky Is Falling

….or in my case, the ceiling!    When we got back Sunday afternoon from our little trip, hubby was laying on the bed watching TV when he noticed some pretty serious water damage on the ceiling.    Our water heater is directly above where that damage was.     So  he went up in the attic and long story short, we had to turn off the water heater, drain the darn thing, and go to HD for a new water heater and drip pan.    Hello big bucks!    

On Monday afternoon water heater fix it guy came by and let’s just say it was about 150 degrees up in that attic!    After removing the old water heater and putting the new one in the attic, he someone cut a water line and water gushed out everywhere!    Hubby ran out to where the water main line is to turn it off but water was pouring out of the ceiling in our bedroom and den.    I was running around putting towels, bath mats, pots and pans under all the drips until they got it stopped.       About 8:00 last night water heater guy left so he could return today to finish up.      He notified his insurance company so now I’m sitting here waiting on Serve Pro to call me to come out and “assess the damage”.     I see lots of drywall mess in my immediate future but I guess I could look on the bright side cause I’m getting my ceilings fixed and painted (which they desperately need).

So now 25 years worth of “stuff” in the attic will have to come down (don’t know where all THAT will go) so the Serve Pro folks can be sure there is no mold growing up there (yuck)……

….how’s your day going?

UPDATE:

I was on the phone with hubby and heard a sound….went in the bedroom and here’s what I saw!!!

water heater damage 022

water heater damage 020

water heater damage 010

This was before the ceiling fell….still waiting on Serve Pro, they are being pulled off another job.

Below is a pic of the ceiling in the den:

water heater damage 016

Just spoke with the insurance lady and she assured me everything will be taken care of….new ceiling, new carpet, hardwoods (if necessary) and whatever else is damaged, plus clean up.    However, she warned it will get worse before it gets better.

17 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! That sounds awful! I feel your pain. We used to have septic tank back up problems (which I don't need to go into detail about - ha!). It was very stressful dealing with the mess. Thank goodness for insurance coverage and Serv Pro! Hope you get everything fixed in a timely manner and are happy with the result.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Oh No, Judy!!! I sure hate to hear this!

The water heater sprung a leak, in the condo above ours, during Spring. They caught it in time. Luckily our only damage was inside the utility closet and easily repaired! I don't know what they had to repair upstairs.

Anxious to hear how things go for you! Hope repairs etc.are smooth going.

Pine Tree Home said...

Such a bummer. This happened to my in laws last month when their AC was leaking in their attic. Mr Fix it Guy came over and knocked the drip pan, lots of water gushed into the ceiling. It took them two weeks to repair, but they did it. Patience is key.

Trisha said...

Sorry for the mess - but the bright side, new ceilings and flooring!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, almost the exact same thing happened to me last week.

A pipe in our upstairs master bathroom burst, and our entire house flooded.

Our downstairs ceiling collasped too!

We've had the clean up crew in and out for days, and they are gutting (almost) our entire house tomorrow.
Hopefully we can share some decorating tips! Good luck!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Thank goodness he had insurance. What a frustrating ordeal. We just had a large spot in our ceiling repaired due to the upstairs tub leaking. I hope it all works out for you and that you get new carpet and repaired and painted ceiling.
Hugs, Sherry

Donna said...

Oooohhhh! Hate when that happens!! My husband had a similiar thing happen in his office...yuck! The whole air conditioning system fell through the ceiling....on one of THOSE days!!!

Justabeachkat said...

Bless your heart. I'm sitting here miserable with hives and feeling sorry for myself and thinking what could be worse? and then I read this. So sorry.

Hugs,
Kat

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh NO! What a mess. Keep your chin up! I know you will get through this and have a new ceiling and floor to show for it!
Yvonne

Lisa and family said...

Oh, no - what a mess! They should include a nice vacation for you and your husband to enjoy while they repair and replace everything.

Michael Wurm Jr said...

oh dear. how horrible.

hope things get fix ... and quick!

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

Oh my.....at least you get some new stuff out of the deal!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

You poor thing! That poor man!! Can you imagine what he was thinking??? OOPS!!!

I can imagine what you were thinking! He is lucky ya'll are such nice people!

I see a beautiful brocade ceiling in your future?? It will be worth it...in the end...

Lou Cinda :)

Pamela said...

So sorry to hear this! After our vacation my in laws came home to a busted water pipe under their sink. It had been running most of the week from what Serve Pro said. They ended up having to tear their entire kitchen out as well as their guest bath and living room.
It was just awful Nana said. I felt so bad for them but on the bright side their house is 35 yrs old and now looks new!:)

Water Heater 411 said...

Its always good to get a full plumbing inspection before you buy. Once the house is yours if you have a water heater problem, you own it.

Edward said...

It is really looking very attractive post. I liked it.

Water Heater Fix
Water Heater Replace

Edward said...

Thanks for bringing such wonderful topic.

Water Heater Fix
Water Heater Replace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...