January 29, 2011

Painted Headboard

Last summer I started redoing my Birmingham granddaughter’s bedroom.    She was transitioning to a bigger bedroom since she was getting a baby brother in August.    Fast forward several months and the room is about 85% complete….just waiting on me to get the headboard painted and curtains made.     Since it is 70+ degrees here today I decided to “make hay while the sun shines” and get started on finishing the headboard.     I had already applied a spray primer to the headboard but it had lots of streaks and was very rough to the touch.      So off to Home Depot I went and bought a sanding block, a Purdy paintbrush (which I can’t say enough about), and some Floetrol.      I read over at Centsational Girl’s blog about the Floetrol which is a paint additive used to extend the time for painting and doesn’t leave roller or brush marks.    And boy howdy, that is one of the greatest products on the market!      Floetrol is used with latex paint and Penetrol is used when using oil based paints.
I had hubby take the headboard outside and took my sanding block to the bed.     I used a very fine/fine grit sanding block which is used between coats and for light sanding.    It quickly eliminated the rough texture on the bed as well as smoothing out all the streaks.    Since I didn’t have a tack cloth I wiped it down with a damp wash cloth and then followed that with a dry cloth.     Then I added some Floetrol to my paint, stirred really well and started painting.  
The bed is extremely old and took several coats to cover.    I am going to do one more coat but I ran out of paint as I had bought one of those “try me” sizes in case I didn’t like the color.     I had used about 1/2 of the “try me” paint on a nightstand I’d already done so of course I wanted to use the same color on the bed.    It is called “Popcorn” by Behr.    

Here’s the “before” pic of the bed.    There is a footboard but DIL does not want to use it.

bed and chairs 001


008
And here it is after 2-3 coats and I wish you could feel how smooth it is……like a baby’s hiney!     I’ve often wondered how people get their painted furniture so smooth with no brush marks and now I know.     I found out that by taking a few extra steps – like sanding and wiping down and adding the Floetrol to the paint - you get a great result with your painted furniture.   Sorry for the poor quality of the photos with all the shadows, etc.  but I wanted to show how it’s looking so far    

002 

012
I love the shape of the bed…so feminine I think

003

And one more full shot
001

I’m thinking about adding an applique to the middle of the headboard.    I had one on hand but it was too big so I’ll have to look into getting one a little smaller.   
I love days like today cause I really get motivated to get some of my many projects started and/or done.    I’ve been putting off this headboard project for months so it really felt good to get it ALMOST done!     Now I’ve got to make some curtains for the room and then we’ll have the big reveal.
I hope everyone has a safe and WARM weekend!

15 comments:

Angela said...

Looks great. And thanks for the tips. I've painted a lot of furniture and didn't know about the paint additive. Wish I had. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

jmo said...

My list of projects include painting my bedroom furniture and your post has inspired me to get going! Now I just need to get hubby inspired to help me! :-)

Sandy said...

Your headboard turned out fantastic! I can "feel" the smoothness! I've only painted one piece of furniture and didn't do any of the tips you mentioned. Of course, mine doesn't look and feel like yours. But it's only an $8 cabinet...maybe I will try painting it again the right way. LOL!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The headboard looks fabulous. Love the shape and the color is wonderful. Thank for the painting tip. Hugs, Marty

Blue Creek Home said...

Wasn't it beautiful today???
It was a perfect day and you were smart to take advantage of it! The headboard looks beautiful.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love this warm Alabama day...spending a few days at the beach condo...saw a few people in their swimsuits today (i'm not ready for that just yet)!!! Thanks for telling us about this product...I'm going to check it out. I'm starting tomoroow on a paint project here at the condo. Your grandchild is just going to love that beautiful bed...looks great!

Blessings,
Linda

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Thanks for the info on Floetrol! I was just about to suggest adding an applique or her monogram when I saw you had already thought of that. It is a fabulous bed.
Hugs,
Sherry

Kat said...

Love the headboard! And, thanks for the tip on the Floretrol. My MIL painted our dining room table while she was here and had a problem with brush strokes. So I'll get some of that, sand it down some, and try again.

Justabeachkat said...

It looks wonderful...love the shape.

Hugs,
Kat

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Thanks for the tips on painting the bed. I'm going to try the Floretrol. I redid a bedroom set for my daughter, but got some brush marks. She was pleased with it, but I am always looking to improve with the next project. I love the shape of the headboard you are working on. Love & blessings from NC!

Donna said...

Your headboard looks wonderful and I wrote down your ideas to save for my next project. Thanks for the tips!

Southern Lady said...

Oh, how pretty, Judy! You did a great job, and I can't wait to see the room when you finish it.

Simply LKJ said...

It looks fabulous! Love the lines. Great tips. I had heard that too, but have yet to try it. Definitely will on my next furniture piece.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy! Oh, this looks great! It's just a pretty piece.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

cryobank said...

Looking great,Many people also sharing the tips,Just a pretty piece,People also like the combination of the furniture And wait for type next furniture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...