July 15, 2008

Do You Believe?

This morning driving to work I was tuned into a Christian station. I didn't catch the first of the broadcast but the speaker was talking about a friend of hers who had recently passed on from cancer. The friend's name was "Mary." According to the speaker, although Mary knew her time on earth was drawing to a close, she still loved and lived life to the fullest. She loved to be around people and go to parties. A few weeks before Mary's death, she and the speaker were at a luncheon when the speaker reached over to hug Mary, she said Mary felt like a sack of bones and her skin was like brittle paper. Mary acknowledged the radiation treatment had rendered her body useless but that she was still full of life. Mary said she would praise God and tell everyone about His love until she no longer could.

The speaker was out of town when Mary passed away. The speaker called the mutual friend to inquire about Mary's last days. The lady said right at the end, Mary sat up in her bed and said "they" were getting a party ready for her in Heaven! She had glimpsed eternity and came back long enough to ask this friend to promise she would lead her hospital roomate to Jesus. Then Mary went peacefully to be with her Lord!

This story brought tears to my eyes and I could barely see to drive. It reminded me of another story of a cancer victim. My son had a friend in high school....we'll call him "D". D had the reputation of being a "wild child" and at times I had to ask him not to come to our home because he would be so disruptive. After high school, he went into the Navy with my son. My son told me that D got very dispondent during basic training to the point of wanting to end his own life....only though my son's intervention was he able to complete his training and come home. Shortly after he got back home, it was discovered he had an incurable form of cancer. Just when you thought D was down and out, he rallied and seemed to get better. On a family skiing trip shortly after Christmas one year, D collapsed and returned home, this time for good. My son did not want to see D because he knew the condition D was in and didn't want to remember his friend like that. I told my son he needed to go see D because he would not have a second chance to see his friend. D passed away shortly after that.

This is the story D's mother (call her "L") told at the funeral: D was so weak his mother slept beside him so she could hear him call out to her. D had asked to be baptised during his last days and the family minister came over and they put D in the bathtub and baptised him. One night D told his mom to "put him at the foot of the bed." Everytime "L" tried to sit him up and put him at the foot of the bed, D would protest and shake his head "no." The next morning the Hospice worker came by and "L" told her the story. The Hospice worker went in to see D and came out with tears in her eyes. She said "L", D said 'did you see the angel at the foot of my bed?'. "L", it's time to tell him it's okay to pass over, he's waiting on you to tell him it's okay. Can you imagine telling your child it's okay to die? Within 24 hours D went into eternity. He was 23 years old.

My best friend's daughter developed Reye's Syndrome at age 2. Judy (my best friend) was told by the doctor that there were 5 stages of Reye's Syndrome and that Summer was in the 4th stage (coma). Summer was transported to a children's hospital about 100 miles away. Judy and her husband were not in the ambulance (she later found out from the doctor he did not think Summer would survive the trip and didn't want Judy in the ambulance if Summer passed away). At the hospital, they were allowed only short periods of time to go in to see Summer. About the 2nd day they were there, the doctor came out and told Judy and her husband to come right away. Judy said she thought that Summer had died or was about to die. When they got back to the intensive care unit, Summer was sitting up in her bed, smiling! When Judy approached her, Summer said "Mamma, Jesus came by my bed and healed me!" Now, what 2 year old would say something like this if it wasn't true? Remember, Summer had been in a coma! Every child in that unit got well. Summer is now 28 years old! Some 20 years later, this story still brings chills to me. In church that Sunday, the power of God was so strong you could hardly stand up!

How can anyone say there is no God and that miracles are for the "olden days?" I choose to believe....

20 comments:

Linda said...

I too believe...and as long as there is breath in my body, I will continue to believe!

Tara said...

Judy

All I can say is Wow! One blessed little girl!

Inspired Kara said...

Wow. What a powerful way to start my morning, reflecting on Gods soverignty.

Right before my grandaddy passed away, he had his hands raised in the air singing an old spirtual with the chorus:

"Going home, I'm going home.
There is nothing to hold me here.
I got a glimpse of that heavenly land;
Praise God, I am going home."

I've never met someone more confident in whose they without fear of death. I love him and miss him and I'm thankful for the impact he's made on my faith today.

I belive!

Vee said...

Yes, I believe. Miracles come in all forms and so does healing.

This touched me deeply. My son called just a few days ago to say that one of his dearest friends died (age 30) on the operating table having heart surgery. My son was simply shocked this being his first experience with a personal friend's death.

Thank you for sharing these stories. We will sing of the glory of the Lord forever...

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Word! You've given me sweet chills. You're the first blog I read this morning and I'm so glad. What wonderful examples of God's mercy and miracles!

I've been a Christian most of my life, but my faith has grown tenfold since I was first diagnosed with breast cancer. I can't explain why, but I had (and still have) such peace about it all. From the "get go" I could feel Him near and was comforted. Plus, I met an angel in a lab coat at the hospital. I wrote about it on my blog -

http://justabeachkat.blogspot.com/2006/02/angel-in-lab-coat.html

God is with us...in the good times and the bad.

I BELIEVE!

Hugs!
Kat

Katie said...

WOW! What incredible stories! I work as an ICU nurse and have stories also like this. What an amazing Father we have...we are so blessed beyond what we know!

Suzann said...

Thank you for sharing. You have touched my heart.

Nonnas News said...

I beleive in miracles!

Picket said...

OH Yes!!!!! Beyond a shadow of a doubt with every cell and fiber of my being..I believe..have lived it..have seen it ..have felt it...and will go to my grave believing and praising God for it!!!! Oh Sweet Lord..Praise your Holy name! Beautiful post girl...Praise the Lord!!! I loved this!

Lulu said...

thank you for posting this. There is a GOD!

Paula said...

God Bless you for your words this morning! I was crying when I went to your blog and I know without a doubt~God sent me there to read this! I needed hope today very very bad! Please pray for my son W and our family~I do not know where he is or even if he is alive~he is 26! Its only through Gods grace I can get through the day! I do believe with all my heart & soul~ God bless you friend!

Paula said...

God Bless you for your words this morning! I was crying when I went to your blog and I know without a doubt~God sent me there to read this! I needed hope today very very bad! Please pray for my son W and our family~I do not know where he is or even if he is alive~he is 26! Its only through Gods grace I can get through the day! I do believe with all my heart & soul~ God bless you friend!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Wow! These accounts bring tears to my eyes! Yes, I know my God is real, and his capabilities are so far beyond my understanding or knowing!

Beautiful post! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Hugs, Rhonda

Judy said...

Paula: I could not find you to reply so I hope you see this. This post was ordained by God...he knows what we have need of. I felt such an urgency to write these stories, and while I thought they were for my benefit, it appears they have touched many hearts. I know what you mean when you said God sent you to my blog....He knew just what you needed to hear for comfort.
I have no way of contacting you but please feel free to e-mail me if you need to. Thank you for writing such a sweet comment....I'm honored that God has used me through this post.

I pray that you find answers to your situation with your son.

God Bless you my friend.
Judy

Tami said...

Yes, He is a very wonderful God!

Snappy Casual Snippets said...

what awesome stories. Thank you for sharing. I really feel bad for people who DON'T believe.

Charm and Grace said...

Wow!! That is one awesome story. Yes, I definitely believe. I have seen it, not in such a dramatic fashion as Summer's healing... but in my own messed up life at 18 years old He reached in and saved me, not physically but spiritually. And I have never been the same. My parents were not believers, although my mom and grandparents were all "religious." But now my mom is a believer. And I married a godly man who loves the Lord and my children know the Lord, too. I know what it is to be "blind, but now I see."

Thanks for this beautiful testimony,
Christi

Southern Lady said...

Judy ...

Thank you for sharing those beautiful testimonies about God's angels and miracles at work.

I believe with all my heart and soul ...

Gretchen said...

Wow. What an incredible reminder of the wonderful eternity we have to look forward to, after this short life.

e.cole said...

I just read your post ,titled:do you believe?I read many of the comments,there were so many people expressing their gratitude.So many people with their own stories.I started out tonight to read other blogs and my computer screen begain to do all these wierd things.I somehow ended up on your blog.In my blog I have spoke about my jouney.For over a year now I have developed my relationship with God and Jesus.(my blog is new),I have used a few of the words I hear when I am in my quiet place with god and Jesus.I have learned so much and it is so difficult to explain the miracles that have occured inside me.I have been given insights.I have to stop for now,but thank you,I know now people do believe and want to read the blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...