January 7, 2014

New Year–New Bathroom

I’ve been tossing around ideas for redoing our guest bathroom which my husband also uses as his.    I have a confession to make…it hasn’t been touched (redecorated) in about 8 years which is a record for me!    It’s chocolate brown and while I loved it, and still do, it’s way past time for a change.    I posted these pictures on Rate My Space years ago and got a lot of positive comments on it….but now it just looks out of date to me.   I took these off my old RMS page:

Photo_Video_231db6fe-0180-45c5-985f-2429924465c7_medium

The wall color is a much richer brown…this looks washed out

Photo_Video_b3f59fa5-e7f8-4dac-a94e-fc3f311cd5a3_medium

 

I have a vision of how I want the bathroom to turn out but I also know I have to work with what I have.    In other words, no new tile, floor or vanity.    The floor and wall tile are very neutral (off white) and the vanity is a dark brown free standing cabinet that looks like a piece of furniture with a pretty neutral top.    Over the years the vanity has taken a beating and I’m debating on painting it or just trying to clean it up some by re-staining it to hide the dings and nicks.     

While I’d love to have planked walls in there, I just don’t see that happening.    So instead I’m probably going to do beadboard wallpaper below and painting above.

Here are some inspiration pictures that I like.

0db8dc65c5fbf73c7edd0ce3ca4517fe

I like the idea of painted beadboard and love the mirror!

 

ab46d1bd2b0f9f4f2d3012382cb5817c

I like the wall color here

 

rhbc_prod261152

Although this is a curtain panel it would be an easy DIY to make.   I’ve always made my own shower curtains since I like them to be longer than the ones you can buy.    This is from Restoration Hardware and in order for me to get a pair (they are sold as individual panels) it would be over $150!    I can make one for much, much less.

 

bc61828f9d58a49167f4731985d646a5

Love the towel combination

 

64ad0712e6dd6eb4873043fa4a838092

I love this whole image….painted beadboard….pretty monogrammed towels, and the shower curtain

 

445aaedeb3efc3a65a10b2fc6a427eee

I love these kinds of photos…I got lucky and recently found one at a local flea market which will be used in a collage in the bathroom

 

e2f99385376fccdd62edbfa39b25370b

Here you see white painted beadboard with a dark gray paint above…I like this too!

 

bathroom ideas 001

These are a few things I’ve been collecting for the bathroom re-do.    I’ve got an idea for using that flash card….will share about that later

 

bathroom ideas 002

Three paint samples I’m considering.   The bathroom is an interior room and has no window but I’m not really worried about it being too dark with painting it gray because it’s a dark chocolate now and there is good overhead lighting and I have a lamp in there too

 

bathroom ideas 003

 

bathroom ideas 005

I will be replacing the light over the vanity and change out the gold towel bar for a silver one.   

I’m pumped about getting started on this soon.    Once I decide on a paint color I’ll have our painter come start on the room.   In the meantime, I’d like to get the shower curtain made and towels monogrammed.     I also need to figure out what to do with that vanity….paint or stain.     Decisions, decisions!

Like most of the country, we are in the middle of unbearably cold weather.    I don’t think anyone could get used to it for long, but here in the South it’s a real problem for us as we’re not used to temperatures plunging into the teens!     We are keeping the fireplace going and trying to stay in and stay warm.   Hope you all are doing the same!

11 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love the inspiration photos Judy and I love the pics you started to collect! I say paint the vanity...just a thought, if you went with the lighter shade of grey on the walls you could paint the vanity with one of the darker shades. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Judy,
Looks like you have got a lot of good ideas for this guest bath. I like the idea of the wallpaper and grey walls, also you have some wonderful items for the walls. Sad that our boys didn't get the win last night, but it looks like we have a very bright future ahead of us. WAR EAGLE!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Gypsy Heart said...

It's going to be gorgeous! I love the dark charcoal paint with the white beadboard paper. You already have some lovely items to decorate with. Can't wait to see it finished!

I'm tired of this cold too. I could never live in the NE, Midwest areas. I so hate our brutal summers though! :)

xo
Pat

Diana said...

Lots of fun goodies for the bathroom! Can't wait to see what you do as I'm sure it will be beautiful! Stay warm! xo

Kelly said...

I love the direction you're going in with this bathroom. You're lucky to get to hire painters to do it. Bathrooms are difficult to paint!

Simply LKJ said...

I love what you have put together thus far! I had our girls bathroom repainted prior to our youngest coming home for the summer, but have yet to truly decorate it. This is the year!!

Ron said...

Love the new color palette. I love the things you have chosen. I cannot wait to see the progress. Stay warm, Judy!

carol jane said...

I love all of your ideas. What an awesome organized towel cabinet. My towels look awful. have to go work on that!

Justabeachkat said...

I like a girl with a plan and you have a good one. Can't wait to see the end results. You go girl!

Hugs,
Kat

Southern Lady said...

I can't wait to see your "after" pictures, Judy. I know it's going to be gorgeous judging by your collection of things to decorate with.

Have fun!

Jayne said...

I am bookmarking your blog! I am just about to start a hall bath renovation and just picked out a new rug and shower curtain and also brought home grey paint samples! So I will watch your progress with great interest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...