December 8, 2009

Christmas In My Den

As I’ve said in prior posts, I’ve done so much less decorating this year than in years past, mostly due to time constraints.   And you know what?   I’m okay with that.   I’m having a hard time coming back from this fall when we put my mom in assisted living, I think I’m just “done” and don’t have the energy for anything else.      Seven weeks of my sister and I going through her home and clearing out/cleaning out then having an estate sale, plus getting her settled in at her new home.      Fortunately, she is settling in quite well and that relieves my mind a lot.

So here’s my den this year…enjoy!

more christmas 2009 055

Sideboard decked out with a garland, white urn filled with shells, coral and ornaments.   

more christmas 2009 056

more christmas 2009 054

  more christmas 2009 048   more christmas 2009 051  more christmas 2009 052

 

more christmas 2009 053  

more christmas 2009 050

I filled the shell  the little angel is holding with sugar….an idea I saw in one of Nell Hill’s books.

christmas 2009 037

Now the mantle (or mantel?).    Simple lighted garland and Ballard stockings.

  christmas 2009 031

  christmas 2009 034

This urn sits on the mantel all year,  I just added some green balls.

christmas 2009 035

 

christmas 2009 036

  more christmas 2009 036    I picked up these gorgeous Ballard stockings last year.    Lime green and leopard, great combination!

Christmas 12-8-09 025     

more christmas 2009 040

Close up of the cuff

more christmas 2009 046

Our little tree in an urn.    For the past 5 years we’ve put the urn on a mahogany table so little fingers (grandkids) could not reach it but this year they are 4 & 5 and old enough to put the tree back down on the floor.

Christmas 12-8-09 026

 

Christmas 12-8-09 027

Love these green and red ornaments I picked up at Old Time Pottery a few years ago.

 

more christmas 2009 044

I had this huge bow made at Southern Homes & Gardens a couple of years back.    It has really long streamers that I weave down the length of the tree.

So there you have my den….just enough to be “Christmas-y” but not over-the-top.

Still to come…my kitchen and dining room.    

18 comments:

9405018--Pat said...

I love your Christmas decorations...thanks for sharing....Pat H

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

I am loving your "less is more" Christmas decor! It is both elegant and very beautiful! The sideboard is amazing!

So glad to hear that your mom is settling in well in her new home! :) ~hugs, Rhonda

Nancy Hood said...

Oh, seeing your fireplace makes me miss mine :( love the look, Judy, just beautiful!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, that looks like so much more than I have done. I love your sideboard, the white urns and all the shells and coral are just stunning. It looks beautiful. Your mantel is gorgeous too. Those stockings are just tooooooooo cute. I love them. What a gorgeous tree. I love the ribbon woven into the branches, that is really pretty. Hope you're having a wonderful Holiday Season. Hugs, Marty

Bama Belle said...

Gorgeous my sweet friend!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

LOVE LOVE it all, Judy!! Really looks great, all the white with seashells. I adore those wild sticks in that urn too. Your mantel is just perfect. And I love YOUR Ballards stockings too. Great job, girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Everything is so pretty! Love all of your ideas.
I so understand about how it is when you have so much to deal with. Just went through all of this with my mother this spring. It's so hard to go through their things and tell them they just can't take all of it to their new place! My mother is settling in well into her retirement home and I am so thrilled.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cheri said...

Judy,

It looks fabulous. Sometimes less is more and I think you have done a great job considering all that has happened with you this Fall.

Simply LKJ said...

Judy,
I LOVE IT!!! Simple, yet soooo classy. I have paired down this year...less cluttered look. It makes you really appreciate the decor rather than your eyes constantly moving trying to focus! Love the shells.

Ren said...

Judy, it is all so pretty! I'm especially loving that cone on your garden gate. Too cute!

Southern Lady said...

Judy, I'm glad your mom is getting settled in her new home. I know that gives you peace of mind.

Your den is absolutely beautiful, and your pictures look like they came from the pages of a magazine. What a neat idea to use sugar for sand -- everything is just perfect, Judy!

santamaker said...

This is perfect, fresh, clean and elegant!

santamaker said...

This is perfect, fresh, clean and elegant!

Terri said...

Judy,
I can certainly identify with your struggles... My mom's house has been sitting empty for a year now. She's moved in with my sister and is FINALLY saying that she can't live alone and probably needs to sell it. It will be one big job to clean it out and divide up her furniture among her children. Something I am not looking forward to, that's for sure. Your decorations are beautiful. I especially like the use of the green balls in the planter. Might just have to steal that idea. ;-)
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Stunning. I absolutely adore your big white urn, but I'd happy take just about any item in that room! Really lovely!

:)
ButterYum

Angel said...

I think putting up less this year must be contagious because I'm doing the same. Just my most favorite things. I LOVE the idea with the sugar and starfish!

Melanie said...

I think it looks great! I know what you mean about being done. I have had a rough 6 months with us being transfered 800 miles from home and I am not even decorating this year. I am just too tired. My parents are flying in on Monday and I am really not ready for them. We just moved 4 weeks ago and all I can think of is how tired and overwhelmed I am. You did a great job and you should be okay with what you have done. Sometimes we are so hard on ourselves as women and we should give ourselves a break.

Laurey said...

Your home is so lovely and your Christmas decorations are just gorgeous. Thanks for always inspiring me. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and blessed 2010. Looking forward to visiting your blog in the New Year!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...