March 1, 2009

Met Monday (a/k/a Let The Changes Begin)

While this is not the typical "before and after" Metamorphosis Monday post, I'm still joining in and posting before pics of my dining room in it's current stage. My header picture shows how it looks now....nothing wrong with it, but I'm still on my mission for a more neutral palette here at home. Please check out Susan at Between Naps On the Porch for some fabulous before and after posts.


Inspired by many other bloggers out there who've been adding that gorgeous picture molding under the chair rail in their dining rooms, I decided that it was time I did the same. I knew I would never have the patience or skills to cut, measure and install my own so I cheated and got these pre-made ones at Lowes. I got 10 of the largest ones they sold (14 x 23) for about $12.00 each. It was well worth the price not to have to buy the molding and try and cut them myself, just to have to have them redone by a pro - - so here they are "eye balled" in an arrangment I liked.



Painter guy and I will start around 8:00 a.m. Monday morning with the ceiling in the dining room and foyer and work out way down to the walls, ending up with the picture molding installation. I'm hoping by the end of the day I'll have my new dining room and I can start the decorating process. I'll be using all of my cremeware and tureens and I can't wait to see the new paint color with my hardwood floors, seagrass rug and dark furniture!


Here are some pictures showing where I leaned them against the walls trying to get an idea of where they will be installed on the walls. I think they will add a touch of elegance to plain boring walls....












See the water stains on the next two pictures? I promise I don't know how that happened!!!! Obviously something got placed on there (probably at Christmas) that was wet and left this water mark. I'm hoping some of you wonderful folks out there can give me some idea of what I can do to get the stain out, i.e. is there some kind of product that will "erase" it? H-E-L-P!!!!








15 comments:

susan said...

Good luck with your project. Have you tried leaving mayonaise mixed with fireplacd ashes on this waterspot? Sometimes mayo alone will do the trick. Food luck. Let me know if it works!

susan said...

in a hurry good luck not food luck!! LOL

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Not sure what it is called but you can get these wax stain sticks at home improvement stores and you rug them on the water mark and it will disappear.

PAT said...

Hi Judy
I saw those pre-made moldings at Lowes a couple of weeks ago. I'm anxious to hear how you like working with them.

As Susan said, I've heard ashes and mayo work for water marks.

Linda Q said...

Oh I am looking forward to seeing this room done, looking good so far!
Linda Q

KBeau said...

I had the same white stains on my dining room table after having a group of ladies over for soup. I used placemats instead of a tablecloth over my table pad. Big mistake. I tried the mayo trick but no luck. I finally used a product called Restore-A-Finish that I got at Home Depot.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I had a white mark on an antique table and a restorer told me it was moisture under the clear finish. He told me to take a blow dryer and set it on hot high head and blow on the spot. It took a while, but it did get rid of it. Just don't get the dryer right on the wood, hole it up at least a couple of inches. Your molding is going to look fabulous. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

Chandy said...

Good luck, I don't know what you can use... Happy Met Monday!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh what a shame about those water spots, but the good news is, they usually can come out.

Just whatever you use, don't rub too hard-- don't abrade the finish too much.

I used to have a little flat tin of some waxy thing that was a "water ring remover" but I haven't seen it in stores for many years.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Cass

Justabeachkat said...

I have a small water mark on my kitchen table. I hope you get some good ideas and good results. I'd love to take care of mine too. I love the photo in your header. Can't wait to see how your project turns out.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Morning Judy! I loved your dining room as it was BUT this is going to be gorgeous! Thanks for posting about product at Lowes; I didn't know they had these! and they would look great in my diningroom on the black bottom half!mmmm I must go to Lowes!lol Can't wait to see what color you are doing and accessories; I'll bet it will all blend beautifully with your kitchen too! Have fun and I await the finished post!!! Sincerely Jeannette

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

What great ideas to get the water mark out. I'll have to file those away, aka try to remember them next time. Can't wait to see the dining room!

Always a Southern Girl said...

I love your decorating Ideas. Keep the tips coming! Thanks, Renee

"Blossom" said...

Hi Judy,
I saw these there. My hubby is building a 66 corvette so I know that I could install these myself.
I didn't ask them if they could make different sizes did you?
How did you like working with these, was it that easy?
Can't wait to see the final result!

société de référencement said...

Good luck with your projects,Love ling the great decorating ideas,Keep the tips coming.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...