I received this in an e-mail from my sister this weekend. It never hurts to be reminded of safety or to learn new safety tips. I hope none of us ever find ourselves in any of the situations outlined below, but these tips could save our lives. Please pass this along to all your loved ones:
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. If a robber asks for your purse or wallet, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet/purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown in the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everyone else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc. doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc., DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, DO NOT DRIVE OFF repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your air bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat, they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes, bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage: (a) be aware; look around you, look in your car at the passenger side floor and in the back seat; (b) if you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars; (c) look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle and the passender side, if a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work and get a security guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY (and better paranoid than dead).
6. Always take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot (this is especially true at night).
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely will not be to a vital organ, RUN, preferably in a zig-zag pattern.
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking well educated man who always played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane or a limp and often asked for "help" into his vehicle which is when he abducted his next victim.
Please share this message with all your mothers, sisters, daughters, etc. and all loved ones. This is just a reminder that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it's better to be safe than sorry!
The lament of Mabel - Y’all. I have meant to write something every day this week and then I see something shiny, like another episode of Parks and Recreation or the new book I’m...
25 minutes ago