January 28, 2008

How I Met My Husband

Sandi at Fabulous Fluff Stuff has tagged me to tell how I met my husband David. I was working as a legal secretary at a law firm and he had used our attorneys for some real estate transactions in the past. At the time I met him, he was actually paying another client's attorney fee who could not afford to pay the fee himself. As a trade off, David was going to get some land from this gentlemen. I had had several phone conversations with him and had met him from time to time during the pendency of the case. Eventually, the case settled and that was that.

My husband owns a lawn and landscape business. After his friend's case was settled, I found myself in need of a landscape/lawn service because the guy that had been doing my work had moved and I thought I would ask David to give me a price for maintaining my yard and cutting down some trees. He came over one Sunday after church, gave me what I considered a ridiculously low price, and I agreed to the price he quoted me. I wanted him to hurry up and do the work before he realized how cheap he quoted me! The next day, he called me to say he was finished with the job. I asked him if he wanted me to send a check or if he wanted to come by the office and pick up the money (he was coming in the next day for another real estate transaction), but no, he said he'd meet me at my house after work to see if I "approved" of his work. Okay, it was a Monday, I HATED Mondays, I was tired, didn't freshen up or anything....I thought this guy was cute but I was not interested in anything other than someone to keep up my yard. He stayed 2 hours! We talked about all kinds of stuff....when he FINALLY left he called me twice on his way home! I knew he was quite a bit younger than me and I asked him on the 2nd call if he knew how old I was and he said yes, but that he was attracted to "older" women (I was 50 and he was 38). Now before you think I robbed the cradle, no one that knows us, now or then, would ever think there is 12 years difference between us. Call it genes or whatever, but I've never looked my age. As a young person, that was a curse but as you get older, it's a real blessing. Anyway, I fought this tooth and nail. I had been through a very difficult divorce some years before and I vowed I would never open myself up to anyone or allow myself to be hurt again. Fast forward 8 weeks....during which time we talked on the phone every day. He would even leave me messages on my private line at work every morning so I'd have a message from him when I got to work. I had told a few of my friends about this "phone relationship" and of course, was getting all kinds of advice. Since I worked in a law firm, I had access to court records and I had already checked him out on line to see if he was a serial killer, married, or tried to find anything out about him that I could. Some of my friends thought he was married (the reason we never saw each other); others thought he was some kind of sicko, but I did not know what to think. My friend's husband wanted to "have a little talk" with him (i.e. don't call her anymore, she's like a sister to me), blah, blah, blah. We had started talking in February and now it was April. One Monday he called me at work and wanted to come over that night. I got so addled I left early, came home and had two glasses of wine (which is a lot for me) and he finally came over. We started dating the next weekend. The following February, we went to Las Vegas with my daughter and her husband. One evening before we went to dinner, he said he had a surprise for me. I didn't think anything about that because he was always giving me little surprises. As he was leading me over to sit down on a chair, he started saying stuff like "I want you to know I've talked to everyone that you love and that loves you....(at that point I think I zoned out).....and I wanted to tell you that I love you very much.....(down on one knee, pulls out a jewelry box - just like the movies!)....and I would love for you to become my wife....OMG! I was speechless but I did say yes!!! The rest of the trip and on the flight home I hardly said a word (which is certainly not like me). He had talked to my mom, son, daughter, brother and best friend the previous November and asked them for their blessing to marry me. On October 12, 2003 we were married in a beautiful ceremony where my brother performed the ceremony, my daughter and daughter-on-law were my attendants, my son gave me away and son and son-in-law stood up with David. I know some folks think for a 2nd marriage you don't go all out, but I wanted my children included and we're so glad we did it that way. It was a wonderful wedding and reception.

Sandi at Fabulous Fluff Stuff showed the gorgeous ring her husband gave her after 30+ years of marriage. While I can't claim that (yet), I wanted to show you some of the wonderful gifts he gave me in our few years of marriage. The first gift I got was to pick out any car I wanted....I got a brand new Toyota Sequoia with personalized Auburn tag (4 Judy).

Our first Christmas I got these:

AND THIS:

There have been many wonderful gifts my husband has given me in the 4 1/2 years we've been married but the one gift that is priceless is that he PUTS UP WITH ME (ha ha), loves my children, is ga-ga over the grandchildren and is a great guy.

I'm supposed to tag some other folks to tell how they met their husbands. I'm going to tag:

Kelly at Kelly's Korner (such a sweet precious girl); Judy (Kelly's mom) at His Door Keeper; and Rhoda at Southern Hospitality.

15 comments:

WhiteCollar SideBar said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! Beautiful Story. Glad I stumbled on to this :-)

His Doorkeeper said...

Such a neat story....love how he talked to your family! So, does he still keep your lawn mowed?? Har

Thanks for sharing this...I love to hear how couples meet!

Nonnas News said...

What a wonderful story! That's a neat tag to pass around!!

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Judy,
What a beautiful and romantic love story. "THANK YOU" for sharing it with us. We have something in common. My DH name is David also. I love the earrings and pendant he gave you. I love hearts of all kinds, so I'm partial to your heart pendant. They are both beautiful. When me and my DH got married, the next day was my Birthday. We went out to eat and he bought me a car as well. It wasn't a brand spankin' new one, but it was new to me. No other man had ever bought me a car. It was a Toyota Cellica. It was a good little car. This is my second marriage as well. When I got married the first time, we didn't have anything elaborate. I didn't even have a white dress. When me and my now DH got married, since this was his first marriage, he wanted to go all out. Well, not exactly all out, but you know, me having a White Dress, and he wanted a Tux. We did that and it was a beautiful Wedding. This coming March, we will be married 13 years. I love him with all my heart and soul. He is my best friend. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

PAT said...

Great story, Judy! Love it!

J and I met 25 years ago last November, married 25 years ago, this coming November. Second time around for both of us! He's a tad younger than I am too.

Pat

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Judy, that was a good story! I knew you were married to a younger man, but the story of how you got there is great. I'll have to think about my story too and try to share it soon. It's not all that exciting.

xo,
Rhoda

Lamp Tramp said...

Oh Judy, what a touching and beautiful story. It is so romantic that it could be a movie. So amazing that all your family knew before you and didn't let the secret out. Daughter and her hubby must have been nervous the whole trip. Love your gifts, earrings are beautiful. But like you said the greatest gift a hubby can give his his love and tolerance of us girls and the kids. XOXO Sandi

Kelly said...

I forgot to comment .....but I loved your story! So sweet! Sounds like you got a catch!
And my husband is 3 years younger. And my dad is a few months younger than my mom - so we love younger men! ha! :-)(I always said men die first - so I'm marrying a younger man so we'll have more time together)

bj said...

Thanks for sharing....
bj

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

What a GREAT story!! It gave me goose bumps! It reminds me a lot of a couple down the road from Bama Boy's house that we had dinner with occasionally. They're in their 50's and have only been married for about 5 years. I LOVE watching them together. It's great to see two "older people" find love again. Especially when you've spent years doubting. I'm glad you did, too! :)

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

And my little confession that only you (and well, whoever reads your comments!) will know.....Bama boy and I work for the same company but in different territories. Our relationship began when I called him to see if he'd go see one of my patients that lived near him. We spend a lot of time on the road and ended up calling each other a lot. This went on for about three months before we ever MET each other. Yup!

Thank you for your support! I really appreciate it!

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Oh Sorry I am so late in commenting about this post but OMG what an incredible story! I got goosebumps the whole way through. What an amazing man, you lucky girl! I'm am very happy for you that you are lucky in love the second time around and with a hunky younger man too! Way to go! :)

blushing rose said...

How simply romantic & blessed you are. May the chills of love still tickle your spine & the flame of fire continue to burn brightly ... forever. Beautiful story.

Have a wonderful crisp autumn day. TTFN ~Marydon

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

What a great story, I am so thrilled for you and your husband! Janell

Unknown said...

Beautiful story! Thanks for linking it back to your post today. I enjoyed reading it and wish you all the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...