May 28, 2010

Can Someone Help Me?

I have a question that I’m hoping someone can help me answer.   I’m sure everyone but me knows how to do this and I’m making it harder than it really is so here’s my problem:

How do I transfer an image from a piece of paper to wood?    I’ve seen some simple tutorials in blogland but can’t remember where.     I’ve also googled this and it seems there are several methods, the simplest being to rub the back of your image with a pencil and then placing it on the wood and tracing over the darkened image.    I’m sure you need to use some kind of tracing paper or carbon paper but for the life of me, I can’t seem to figure this out.      I’m stumped (or maybe stupid!)

Here’s why I need to know:    I have typed out a quote on the computer and enlarged it to the size I need, and taped the pages together for the proper size of my image.     I also have an old piece of wood I got out of my mom’s yard that I’ve dry brushed and distressed and I want to transfer those words I typed to the  piece of wood?    Make sense?

I’m a very visual person and I hate trying to follow directions.    So if anyone can give me a REAL SIMPLE way that I can do this, I would really appreciate it.



They call me Estatez... said...

You need some graphite paper. Print your saying, letters or whatever off on your printer and then put the graphite paper between the sheet of paper and your wood. Trace your letters with either a pencil or the end of a stylus and it will transfer to your wood (make sure you have the graphite side down. It is very easy to do. You can buy the graphite paper at any hobby/craft or art supply store

Renee said...

You can color the entire back of the saying heavily in pencil as if you were doing a cemetery rubbing, turn over and trace the saying. The pencil rubbing will transfer to the board as you trace the front. Works just fine. :)

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

I don't know if this will work for words, it will depend on how big they are but for a large image you can place a piece of tissue paper on top of your image. Trace over the tissue making a copy. Then place the tissue paper on the wood and go over the copied image with a permanent marker. The permanent marker should go through the tissue and leave an image on the wood. That sounds complicated but it is quite simple. I learned this technique at a workshop for teachers for posters and bulletin board materials. Good luck!

Simply LKJ said...

I've used the graphite paper too. Hobby Lobby has it in the drawing section.

Anonymous said...

love your blog. i saw this post and had to write you to tell you that they have a "projector" type thing at Hobby Lobby that would be great for this project of yours. It costs around $20 for the cheaper one and that is the one i have. You just lay it on top of the project you want to "trace" and it projects it onto whatever you want and whatever size you want. It is great!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...