June 28, 2016

Finally Some Answers To My Health Issues!

Well, if you've read my blog recently you now that I've been sharing about some issues I've had with my left leg/foot since last November.   I started out going to my orthopedic surgeon who took a foot x-ray and stated I didn't seem to have a stress fracture and that he didn't see any need for an MRI at the time.   I didn't argue with him as I HATE MRI's and thought "he's the doctor and he knows best".    I ended up going to him twice, after which he referred me back to my general doctor....from there I went to a neurologist for nerve testing (showing negative results), another trip to my doctor for blood work (normal), and then a vascular surgeon for an ultrasound for deep vein thrombosis testing...negative for that as well.   Based on all the tests and doctor visits over a seven month period, according to them I was "normal" but I was getting worse and to the point I could hardly walk.   A simple trip to the grocery store put me in excruciating pain and I had to spread out my errands over several days as I simply could not walk comfortably.

After getting some great suggestions from comments on my blog, I went back to my GP and insisted on an MRI.   He knows how claustraphobic I am and said I could take 3 Xanax for my anxiety.    Let me tell ya'll, that did the trick!    I climbed up on that thing, put a washcloth over my face, requested classical music and my husband sat next to me rubbing my shoulder and talking to me.  

The results are that I have a bulging disk(disc?) at L4-5 and spinal stenosis.    I had that same diagnosis several years ago but didn't have this kind of pain.    Why didn't someone (doctor) even suspect that and why did it take 7 months and me having to demand an MRI to get to this point?   All those co-pays and prescriptions!  

Anyway, I decided to go to my chiropractor who has treated me in the past for this problem before going to the orthopedic.    I believe all he'll do is send me for PT and to me that's just a legal form of torture!     As of today, I've had three "adjustments" and my chiropractor has given me more information than all those other doctors combined.    I do feel some relief and realize I didn't get this way overnight and it won't be a quick fix.    One of the issues is a calcium build up around the vertabrae which of course causes the nerve to be compressed and the pain ensues down my leg.    I'm going to go this route for at least a month and then maybe will go to the ortho to see what he suggests.

Thank you all for your comments, concerns, thoughts and prayers!    I know they have helped me.

On a lighter note, this past weekend we celebrated my mom's 96th birthday!   What a milestone.    She is amazing....reads her Kindle (just ordered her a 2nd one) and is very involved in activities at her nursing home....especially bingo.   They call her the bingo queen because she wins a lot!    Other than loss of her most of her hearing, she is quite the steel magnolia.    Is up to date on the news and follows the current election antics!  

Here's a little collage I made of my kids and grandkids at the birthday party....I can't believe I couldn't find the one with my mama in it!   They brought her some ice creme (her favorite) and she wore a Mexican sombrero while they sang Happy Birthday!  

I'm sure most everyone has big plans for the 4th of July weekend.   We normally go to my sister's lake place and have a big cookout but this year we're going to our son's house and my sister and her family are going to the mountains.

Hope you all have a wonderful and safe 4th!


12 comments:

Simply LKJ said...

Judy,
Soooo happy to hear you at least now have answers!!! What a long road. I agree with going the "natural" approach first and seeing if you can find some relief. My dad had surgery and STILL has pain (very similar to yours). We just spent some time at the beach with dear friends of ours. Andrew had back problems and has had one surgery thus far. Still has terrible pain. His doc wants to go back in and either "clean up" what's there or fuse his back. He said he would most likely go for the "clean up". However, I mention this because Andrew decided to "try" a gluten free diet to see if it would help. It did tremendously. It really helped alleviate the pain and inflammation!!! He is not COMPLETELY gluten free, but 75%!!! Might be worth a shot. We just recently learned both of our girls have Hashimotos. An autoimmune disorder that attacks the thyroid. My diagnosis was thyroiditis, but now I am thinking it is more than that!!!

jmac said...

I could have written your post today! I have the exact same thing you just explained. And it ain't no fun. Mine has been going on for 6 yrs :( they will prolly want to do cervial injections next to try to numb the nerves that are affected. they will do many rounds of those. I'm doing everything in my power to avoid surgery. I do not want anything fake in my ol' body.
Good Luck! Cannot tell you how many people I've talked to with this same problem.

I really need to try a chiropractor but the thought of that "popping" really creeps me out!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Wow, Judy, you have had quite the time! Glad to hear that you are finally getting some relief. Hoping for continued progress. Happy Belated Birthday to your sweet mother. What a blessing!

Becca Bertotti said...

Oh my goodness, Judy! I'm so sorry you've been in pain and that it took so long to get the right diagnosis! Hopefully, now that you have the answers you've been waiting for, you can get a game plan in place. Prayers for healing, friend!

Christi said...

I'm so glad you finally have some answers, and are hopefully heading toward some relief! What a special day to celebrate with your Mother! xo

Cheri said...

How wonderful that you still have your mama and a very Happy Birthday to her.

If it makes you feel any better, Judy, I have had back problems since I was a Jr. in high school and all I ever get is band aid solutions of having an epidural. I had just finished 5 weeks of PT but mostly that was electro stimulation and a great massage. They don't want to do surgery and not that I want surgery but honestly if that would make me feel better...I am all for it. Hope your foot problems are now getting resolved and you start to feel better.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Judy, I am so happy to hear you finally got a diagnosis. Sounds like your chiropractor is a real gem! Love your pics of your darling family! Enjoy your week!

Nancy said...

so glad you have some answers and a plan! love the family pics!

Jaybird said...

I am so glad that you finally have some answers!! I hope the chiro can take care of you so that it relieves your pain. Steady pain like that is the pits :^(
Your family is beautiful... thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
J

ElevenGables said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you have been having trouble! Praying for complete healing!! Thank you for popping over to say hello on my blog! xox, Emily

Pam @ Biscuits & Burlap said...

Hi Judy, Just popped in to say hi and thanks for visiting us at Biscuits and Burlap! I'm going to keep your "Hey Girlfriend" drink recipe! It looks so summery and refreshing -- I just might have one tonight. I think I already have all the ingredients.

Nell said...

An MRI saved my life, but it took 5 years before I found a doctor who suggested I should have one....I am so glad you were able to find the problem...hope all continues to go well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...