March 17, 2014

Angels Among Us

 I really have no idea if this is an appropriate title for this post, but I really felt impressed to share this story....it must be for someone.    I hope it blesses whoever you are.

When my son was in high school he had a friend who I will call "D".   "D" was at our house quite a bit....started off hanging out with my son and morphed into hanging out with friends of my daughter's....my son and daughter are 2 1/2 years apart and a lot of his guy friends got real interested in his sister and her friends.  

Anyhow, it didn't seem to effect my son and 'D' 's relationship much...they came to some kind of understanding and everything worked out.

After high school my son enlisted in the Navy and "D" signed up with him.   My son went for benefits and I think "D" more or less went because he admired my son and his parents wanted him to "settle down" and have a vocation.    After basic training my son and "D" came home...both got jobs and begin to make their way in the world.

It was soon discovered that "D" had a form of cancer (and I'm sorry to say I don't remember what kind of cancer he had) but it eventually went into remission and things seemed to be fine.     "D" and his family went snow skiing and "D" got so sick he had to come back home, where they found his cancer had returned with a vengeance.   "D" died on March 12, 1997 at the age of 22.     My son had a hard time dealing with "D"s illness and put off going to see him until the very end.    I was thrilled to find out that "D" had accepted the Lord and was baptized in the bathtub at his parents' home.    

 One morning when the hospice worker came in "D"s mother told her that "D" kept asking her to "sit him up at the foot of the bed".....every time she did, he'd shake his head no and try to fight her off.    The hospice worker said she'd go in and see if she could tell what "D" was trying to say.    Now here's the part where I tear up....when the hospice worker came out, she told the mother "D" was saying 'do you see the angel at the foot of my bed'?    She told the mom that "D" was ready to go but that he couldn't until his mother told him it was okay!    She did and within a few hours "D" passed into eternity.



His mother told this story at "D"s funeral and I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye in the room.     I'm sharing this story because I feel like someone needs to hear it.      I wouldn't presume to say I got a "word from God" but I really felt impressed to share "D"s story.

I've witnessed three miracles in my lifetime and this is one of them.    It gives me peace to know there is hope for every one of us.


12 comments:

Kelly said...

That is such a beautiful story. So sad to hear that "D" died so young though. That is awful!

Southern Lady said...

So beautiful, Judy ... I still have chill bumps. I know it is a comfort to your son to know that his friend is "in the arms of the angels."

freida said...

Judy, I rarely take the time to comment on the blogs I follow (please forgive me!), but I must tell you, this really touched my heart! It's so hard to let any of our loved ones go, but when they are so young, it's especially difficult. I feel that with how close your son and "D" were, he died a hero in your son's eyes. When people come into our lives that make such an impact, a piece of them lives forever in our hearts. Thank you so much for sharing this heartwarming story! Blessings to you and your son.

Unknown said...

Goodness, I teared up at that one too. Yes, there are most definitely angels among us. thank you for sharing that Judy!

chrissyl said...

I love your blog - try to read you daily - but however I am a single mom of 2 teenage boys and a young widow of a husband who passed away from a 7yr Glioblastoma Brain Tumor. I also did Hospice in patients homes for years, so when my hubby got diagnosed (i think God had me in training for what about to happen). This touched me so....Thanks for sharing!! I know there are Angels all around us and my dear Hubs is still here with me sending me signs almost daily now for 5 yrs!! God Bless You!! Keep blogging friend I love reading your blogs. One day I too will blog about my experiences!! God is just getting me thru these Teenage years!! lol All My Love!

Chrissy from Pittsburgh, PA

Mimi's Meanderings said...


Such a touching story, gave those leg chill bumps! So sorry for "D" family and friends.
Have you made it to UK? I just found your blog tonight/morning. If not I've been several times, I'll be happy to share some fun stuff.
Lucky you, first class. We went business elite once, rest coach.
WDE!! Judy

Curtains in My Tree said...

What a wonderful encouraging story.
I believe this will encourage others to prepare to meet angels and God at their deaths from this earth
I am so sorry D had to die so young

The Subtle Details said...

What a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing it. I hope your son finds comfort in knowing that "D" is definitely with the angels. Thank you, again.

Mother's Violets said...

A beautiful story to read and a real blessing, thank you.

Maryanne

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Judy, thanks for sharing this. Pat H

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Judy, thanks for sharing this. Pat H

Jenny said...

The second photo in your post is one of my favorites. My brother died six years ago, and min the midst of everything, I found myself asking for a sign that he was ok. Lo and behold, I got that sign. It was a sliver of a rainbow, in a cold January sky. My parents received a card with the second photo in your post, and it was one of their favorites - did you notice the rainbow on it? To this day, I have been given these rainbows at the most unexpected times - on the anniversary of my brother's death, and at his birthday. You can't tell me that's a coincidence. Thanks for the great reminder that God is real. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...