June 20, 2012

Evolution of a Porch Bench

A few years ago I bought this bench at auction for something like $25.00…it’s not in the greatest shape, but it fits so perfectly on my porch so I make it work.

It was a faded teak when I got it so I decided a quick fix for me was to paint it.       Here’s its first debut with my burlap stenciled pillow that I first shared back in 2009:

 

October 15 2009 099

These were taken before I started using photo editing programs

 

October 15 2009 082

I loved the black color because my house is khaki with black shutters so it “went” with my house

 

Then this past spring I got a wild hair to paint it turquoise.    After spending a lot of time and $$ trying to find the perfect color, it ended up like this…..WARNING:  EPIC FAILURE AHEAD!

008

U-G-L-Y!

 

012

…but I was not happy with it AT ALL!   It looked waaaaay too rainbow bright for me.

 

Then the other day I was in WM and saw Rustoleum’s Camouflage in Khaki.     When I first started spraying the bench, I thought it would be too close to the brick color so I had hubby move it back to the porch to see if it blended in too much.    It looked okay so I went ahead and sprayed the whole thing.    I love the color and even though the color is VERY close to the brick color, I love how rich it looks.    Well, here, see for yourself:

bench 004

That poor ol’ burlap pillow has been through about 3 seasons so it’s time for me to make a new cover…it’s so faded

 

bench 005

 

bench 003

The print pillow is an outdoor one I picked up at Target when I was on my turquoise kick….but I still like the pop of color it adds

 

bench 010

 

bench 011

See that empty wall planter back there?   The brutal sun has already killed the flowers in there and a hanging plant on a shepherd’s hook so I’ve got to replace them with something else.    I have some faux hydrangea stems I might use in there for now….even with daily watering most of my flowers don’t make it throughout the summer here.     The ferns are Kimberly Queens….the only kind I can grow!     They do wonderfully here on my covered porch.

On a side note, I’d like to thank EVERY ONE OF YOU that left me a comment about the removal of the Southern Living Idea House photos.    It seems that they want to feature the home in their August issue and apparently don’t want to spoil any surprises.    However, it would seem to me they’d love any free publicity getting word out about the house and sparking interest in others visiting it.    I’ve always loved Southern Living but this has left a bad taste in my mouth and I doubt I’ll ever feel the same about that company.    But, what’s done is done and after the magazine comes out, I plan on reposting a lot of the photos.      Thank you for your understanding about my “uh oh” moment!

11 comments:

Kelly @ Talk of the House said...

I REALLY like the bench in khaki (and definitely didn't like the blue!) You got a steal of a deal on that thing. Have you tried lantana in your planter? They are so drought resistant, I wonder if they would live there for the summer. Mine do well in planters on the deck - and they get full sun there. Just a thought.

Sonny G said...

The khaki looks terrific. I like it best of the 3 colors its been..

I need to find one for my natural area in back. I check craiglslist every day but so far no luck..

My House, My Garden said...

Hi stranger!
Put some succulents in that hanging wall basket. They'll do perfect!! Search succulents on my blog and you'll see where I did this in a similar way on my entry gate. Watered them about once a month.
Take care ... Vikki

aimee {sixteen fourteen} said...

That bench looks beautiful! Much better than the black, and definitely better than the blue. I like that you took the risk with the blue, though! :-)

Lilly Forever! said...

I really like the bench in Khaki and I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures! I am following your blog now and really enjoy it! You might like mine as well
OMGalmost50.blogspot.com

NanaDiana said...

Judy- I think the bench looks GREAT in the new color. And, although I do like turquoise-it was way too bright or me, too.

We lose plants here, too, on the sunny side of the house when it gets crazy hot- Blessings- Diana

ps...so sorry about the SL magazine mess. How awful!

Kelly said...

The new color on your bench looks great against the black shutters on your window. I can see why you love the change too. It has such a great shape!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful bench, Judy! I loved it black and I'm glad you went with the new color shown last. I don't think the turquoise suited your home or style. This is our first Spring/Summer in our new home and, with the crazy weather, I'm finding certain things are having a problem surviving. I see you got some great suggestions, I'm sure there is something that will do good with the sun and heat.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Your bench looks great Judy, I love the khaki color!

Diana said...

Love the new bench color and gorgeous pillows, Judy! Don't you just love spray paint! :)

Unknown said...

I'm seriously in love with that pillow in your first picture. I'm partial to black but I still love your bench!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...