October 9, 2011

Antiquing At The Beach

We just spent a couple of days in Destin.   Daughter, her husband and the twins joined us Friday evening and are staying through Tuesday.   Husband and I shop, eat and go to antique malls….they take the kids and go to the beach!   Two different generations, what can I say?   Of course, we got together for a few hours with them at the beach on Saturday afternoon and ate with them on Friday and Saturday night.    But the highlight of the trip (for me at least) was a wonderful place called Smiths Antique Mall which was recommended to me by my friend Linda at Coastal Charm.    It has got to be one of the best antique malls I’ve ever been to and trust me, I’ve been to a lot!    So this post will mainly be dedicated to photos I took inside.   

The kids had their “boogie boards” and Jackson was in the water with his when we got to the beach Saturday afternoon.    When he’d had enough of the waves not cooperating with his attempts to surf, he decided to get out and play on his DS.

096

 

098

He put the towel over his head so he could see his screen better….technology at the beach, who knew??!!

 

097

Taylor and Pop playing one of those peg games from Cracker Barrel (Taylor said Pop was an “ignoramus!)

 

Now on to the antique mall…

089

Here’s what I saw when I first entered….

005

I love this idea!   Branches in a glass vase with hanging starfish….I’m going to do this!   I have that exact vase and will be collecting branches from the yard.  

destin oct 2011 012

It’s sitting on an old wooden crate…I have one of those too!    I bought an unfinished one at Michael’s and stained it….I plan on stenciling either some numbers or words on mine, just haven’t decided what yet.

Let’s just look at the pictures without me talking much….enjoy!

007

This table full of shells was in the same booth as the starfish “tree”

014

 

016

 

018

 

021

 

 

023

 

032

Look at these burlap covered cylinder vases….how easy would this be to copy?

 

037

 

039

 

041

 

 

042

 

043

Another pillow that would be so easy to make…burlap, painted (or stamped) image, black bow…

 

044

 

055

 

 

047

I really wanted to buy this burlap tote…maybe I’ll find another one

 

045

I’ve seen this sign at a lot of antique malls….I know they weren’t talking about MY husband!

 

 

048

Breadboards

057

White Pottery Barn type sofa and ottoman….I just noticed the pair of gorgeous chairs!

 

061

I have a catalog that has these lamps….I’ve always loved them

 

065

 

066

 

068

Linen, leather and nail head trim

069

 

072

There were huge dough bowls everywhere with huge price tags too!

 

076

 

083

 

087

Loved this old bucket….just take an old metal bucket and paint the outside….fill with ice and use for drinks on the deck

Surprisingly I took most of my pictures at the antique mall.    We had a good time but the trip was way too short.      And can you believe I didn’t buy anything there?   The prices were pretty steep and I just enjoyed all the eye candy and getting some good ideas.   In fact, I overheard two other ladies saying that a lot of what they saw could easily be re-created….they must have been some DIY’ers!

We are having the most gorgeous weather here in Alabama…makes you almost forget the humidity of the summer.     I’m picking up mama at her assisted living home tomorrow and we’re eating lunch at Panera Bread.      I saw an ad for a smoked turkey and avocado Panini sandwich I want to try….what is your favorite thing to eat at Panera Bread?

8 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Judy- What a fun trip and visit you had. LOVE that antique place. I think it is always fun to go and get ideas. I find that the older I get-the less I buy...never thought I would be saying that but...I have SO much now that I hesitate to bring in anything new without editing out something.

Don't you love watching those kiddos at the beach though? They are so much smarter today than we were at those same ages...it's amazing~ xo Diana

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Now I knew that you would LOVE it!!!! Happy that you had a fun time getting a lot of great ideas (I do the same thing). Have you ever been to the Nashville Flea Market? Going next week and I'm hoping it's a good one. I don't think I have ever had anything there that I didn't like. Also going to Pratville on Friday...what are the best antique places there?

Blessings,
Linda

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Judy, Looks like you found my favorite antique mall. I was a dealer for several years at Smiths before we moved to Virginia. The problem was I spent more there than I sold...so many beautiful things. Did you also go to Antiques On Holiday right behind Smiths? It's a favorite too.
Hugs,
Sherry

Becca Bertotti said...

WOW ... look at all of that eye candy! You're right ... fabulous ideas, too! I spied many things I would've loved to have taken home with me! Glad you had fun with the precious grandkiddos. And, envious of your weather ... we're supposed to be getting sub-tropical storm yuckiness today through Thursday. Boooo.

Made In The South said...

Oh wow...I saw so much stuff that I love there. I am in love with the pillow that had French Kisses on it.
I am now your newest follower. Don't ya just love being a southern girl?
Have a Fabulous week,
Melissa

Cheri said...

Smith's is a great place and you are right...it is a bit pricey. I went there 2 summers ago when I tagged along for hubby's work. I generally don't care for Florida, but I have to say Destin, the panhandle area I would consider living if I had the $$$ to match.

I found things I loved in all of your pictures...beautiful eye candy for sure. Those lamps were one of my favorites.

Completely Coastal said...

I love to go on virtual shopping tours, especially when there are so many beachy things! Also your beautiful blue pumpkins are featured here. Thanks!!

Justabeachkat said...

So glad you enjoyed Smith Antiques. I always take guests there when they visit. Heck, I go often just by myself. Sure wish I could have been in town that week, but our sweet Daven decide to arrive early :)

Hugs,
Kat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...