November 21, 2008

Some Yummy Thanksgiving Favorites

Can ya'll believe Thanksgiving is less than a week away? It seems just yesterday it was August here in Dixie and we were sweltering and now here we are smack dab in the middle of November and baby it's cold outside!

Thought I'd share a few of my favorite receipes that I ALWAYS make at Thanksgiving. This year my sweet daughter is playing hostess in her brand new gorgeous house.....of course she wants everything perfect, including getting out the Christmas tree this weekend! I'll be at her house this weekend "helping" her hang a "wall of fame" (grouping of family photos, etc.) and other than a few other things, that should be about it for now.

Anyway, here are my old standbys that never fail me:


CORN CASSEROLE

2 large cans yellow corn
1 large and 1 small package yellow rice
2 cans cr. of mushroom soup
1 package shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Combine the corn and cr. of mushroom soup in one pan, adding water from the soup cans to the corn just to make it soupy and not dry. Cook over medium heat stirring until the soup and corn are throughly mixed and heated.

In a separate pan cook the yellow rice according to the directions.

After the rice is done, combine the corn and rice together in a large bowl until they are blended together, then transfer to a glass casserole dish. Top with 1 package of sharp cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts.

Easy as pie and takes no time. Depending on how many people you are serving, you can add or delete ingredients as needed. The above receipe should serve about 8 people.

BROCCOLI SALAD




1 bunch broccoli (chopped with stems)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 sweet onion (chopped fine)
1/2 cup bacon bits

Sauce:
1 cup mayo
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp. vinegar

Combine first 5 ingredients in bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the sauce ingredients together, then stir the sauce into the broccoli salad until thoroughly mixed. Best if refrigerated for several hours or overnight.



SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Filling:

2 large cans sweet potatos, mashed
2/3 to 1 1/14 cup brown sugar
1/3 c. butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 to 3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Spray a casserole dish with pam. Mix all of the above ingredients and put into the dish.

Topping:

1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. flour (can be self-rising)
1 c. pecans, chopped
1/3 c. butter, melted

Mix ingredients together and sprinkle on top of potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

I wanted to share a little of our Thanksgiving traditions with you. If any of you are traveling next week out of town, please be safe. One of my sisters and her family will be in Paris (guess that's one of the perks of being married to an airline pilot!) The rest of us will celebrate here in good ole Alabama!

15 comments:

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

I love that broccoli salad!

Suzann said...

I think that this sweet potato casserole is a recipe I made a few years back, but lost. I'm going to have to make this soon - perhaps with leftovers. : )

Tara said...

OOOOOOOH! I think I'll be visiting you agin this week so I can make copies--looks yummy (and southern! hee-hee!)

Kim said...

I'm going to miss that corn casserole! Mine is never as good as yours.

The last time Gary did the Paris trip one of the FAs was talking about a consignment store. I cleaned out closets today in preparation!

We'll sure miss everybody. Take lots of pics and post them so we can see when we get back.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, girlfriend, I was just making out my menu today. I don't usually cook on Thanksgiving, but this year we are staying home & 2 of the kids are coming, so I'll be cooking for 6 of us. Gotta get my table set tomorrow. Your recipes sound yummy. I'm also making a very similar sweet potatoe casserole. Have a wonderful week!

Inspired Kara said...

Mmmmmmm. Corn Casserole!!!!

Kristi said...

That broccoli salad is the best!

As for the rewiring - I really had no idea what I was doing. I had taken the light to Montgomery Antique Gallery where there was someone who repaired lights. Yes, quoted me $120.00. I only paid $60.00 for the light! So, I called my uncle who is an electrician and engineer and asked if this was something that I could do myself. He said that it was easy to do, and the hardest part was taking it apart in some kind of order so that you can put it back together. I would be glad to help - like "the blind leading the blind"... HA!

Homemaker Highlights said...

Thank you for the sweet potato casserole recipe. I have been debated..pie or casserole. Either one this is my first go of sweet potato anything this year:) Sounds wonderful and so does the corn casserole.

Sit A Spell said...

Love sweet potatoes! Ya can't get them up here where I live and I miss them dearly this time of year! (yes, I grew up in the south and live up north...sigh)

Melissa Lester said...

We are hosting Thanksgiving for my family, too, so I'm busy getting ready for that. The cooking and decorating come easily; the trying to make my house look like four children do not rule the roost is the challenge. Joe will have them out for a good portion of the day tomorrow, so maybe we'll look presentable by the time company arrives. I hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving!

Sherri said...

I copied all three recipes-they sounded so yummy. I have had the broccoli salad and loved it! I am anxious to try the other ones. Thanks for sharing and you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I hope your daughter enjoys sharing her new home with everyone too!

Heidi said...

I made the S.P. cassarole and it was soooooo yummy. kuddos from my whole family for posting that. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

"Blossom" said...

I have tried the sweet potato casserole and it's wonderful
You are it! Please pick your tag up over at my place.
Blossom

asouthernsunset said...

Judy, I have been enjoying your wonderful Southern blog for many months now. I too, always bake a sweet potato casserole and a corn casserole. I will be trying your broccoli salad, as it sounds delicious.

From one Southern blogger to another, I would love to give you a gift tag. It was given to me by the Duchess at www.theduchessofearl.blogspot.com. If you would enjoy playing the game of "A Random Things Meme", please visit my lil' Southern blog at www.asouthernsunset.blogspot.com for the blog game directions.

Many blessings,
Yaya

Miss Janice said...

I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. That corn casserole sounds delish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...