That sounds like a lead-in for a news broadcast! I guess in a way you could say it’s own personal news to announce that I FINALLY got started on the re-do of the sunroom. I’ve put it off long enough so Saturday I got started. My biggest dilemma is deciding on what color to paint the walls….the red has to go and in its place will be a calming neutral. Creamy white or maybe an oatmeal color. Suggestions please!!!!
The weather here has been just gorgeous for the past few days so I took advantage to get outside to paint. I started stripping and painting my little green dresser. Here’s how it looked before I started “stripping” ….
I bought this sweet little dresser for $35 at an estate sale a few years ago. I loved the paint treatment and that it offered a good bit of storage. It was not in the best condition but that didn’t bother me then or now.
I used this product which had been recommended by Miss Mustard Seed who swears by it….it is the best stripping product I’ve ever used.
So here’s the top after I got it stripped down to the original finish. It has some damage but once I put on the stain and poly finish, it will look great. The body of the dresser is going to be painted aqua with a little distressing and glaze. I got the drawers painted yesterday and I’m hoping to get the dresser completely painted, distressed and glazed in the next few days then finish it off by staining the top dark walnut.
I’ve got to sand off the paint on the “lip” of the dresser as it will be stained as well.
Here’s two of the drawers painted aqua. (See that seagrass rug? I got it at a local flea market for $19.00!)
I also got started on sewing panels for the windows. The sunroom has 3 huge windows and one set of french doors. I have matchstick blinds on the windows but I wanted to add some softness at the windows by making my “signature” panels using sheets and drop cloths. I love, love, love the way my dining room window treatment turned out last year. In case you missed that, here’s a a picture of those drapes I made using the ever popular drop cloths and a flat black sheet:
To see the entire room, you can read all about it here.
This first panel is going to be my template for all 8 panels. Still tweaking and measuring but I hung it up to get an idea of how it is going to look. I have the bottom pinned to the top section and I see that I’ve got to cut more off the top section so they just “kiss” the floor. (I hung them up backwards…by accident….so I flipped the curtain right side out so you get an idea of what I’m doing…..trust me, they will look great when I’m done).
I have an old trunk that I might use as a coffee table. Here’s my inspiration pic. I don’t think this would be hard to duplicate at all!
And last but certainly not least, on Tuesday I’m going to Birmingham to the doctor with my son and DIL to find out what the baby they are expecting in August will be……we are so excited! Here’s the first sonogram when Jennifer confirmed her pregnancy back in December (she scanned them in sideways).
Have a great week!